Tuesday, April 23

Spin me a Yarn



 
 
My daughter has been involved with  DVA Theatre Company for 20 years and is currently it's Artistic Director.   It is a company of adult performers with intellectual disability, working alongside volunteer facilitators and the  Artistic Director.  DVA meets weekly for a two-hour workshop throughout the year and  additionally there are of course the workshops plus rehearsals in preparation for the performances. 
 
Over its life span DVA has created many public performances. In 2013 DVA presented the project 'A Cosmic Love', a project based in film and performance and presented at LaMama's Courthouse Theatre in collaboration with Platform Youth Arts. Click here to watch its  first ever film A Royal Star. This was produced and directed by my daughter. 
The crocheted Turtle shown above, is by courtesy of my wife, amongst many  of  the sea animals knitted by a friend. They will be some of the stage display in the next production.  
 

4 comments:

Tom said...

Very sweet, Lindsay, and rather amusing. I say that as someone accustomed to such delightful little treasures from my own wife. You appear also to have a talented daughter; I wish her well. [Did your wife have access to 'string theory' or simply practical woolcraft? :) (I did finally comment on your previous post)]

Lindsay Byrnes said...

Thanks Tom.
My wife thinks the stuff I write about is gobbledygook, but is fond of reading and literature, She is a member of a writers group.
Then again she tells me maybe she simply doesn’t understand any of it, but also she’s not inclined to want to think about it. Not her cup of tea so to speak,
The only string involved was the carpet yarn donated to her by her talented friend for the making of the tortoise. Both are members of a knitting group whose work they donate to charity. I will pass on your good wishes to my daughter for her next production.
I think I how you feel about the prior post which is perfectly reasonable.
I trust you and yours had a holy and happy Easter notwithstanding the saddest of events and riots that have afflicting the beloved France and is raising its ugly head elsewhere.
Best wishes

Deanna said...

Your wife's sort of string theory works beautifully for me too. I love the turtle, but right now crocheting isn't pulling me the way cross stitching is ... floss theory?

I would like to have come up with a comment for your previous post, but, believe it or not, I felt overwhelmed by its scope.

Events in the world are also overwhelming enough to make me want to join the turtle in a protective shell.

All the Best to you, your wife and your daughter too!

Lindsay Byrnes said...

Hi Halle,
My wife was also an enthusiastic cross stitcher but her daughter’s next “spin me a yarn’ production has taken over her current reference frame. In relation to the prior post I might have been better off to simply state what I think initially and then argue my case.
A lot of stuff is out there isn’t there, but as Tom said there is a bit of an illusory factor ( or all ) tied up with trying to tie together the classical theories from within our entrapment on planet earth. Even so, I enjoyed trying to put my own stamp on it even if it got my own head spinning at times. The fact is there really is only so many ways you can mix and match those same principles that don’t seem to fit whatever which way one tries.
Best wishes to you and yours and your 'girls', of course I mean those 3 wise delightful miniature dachshunds. By the way that’s a nice photo of you – you convey a kind face to me. Then again I haven’t experienced the ray.
Best wishes