Tuesday, April 9

Psalm 42-43 As the Deer




I have been member of our local church choirs for over 27 years and I never tire of singing liturgical music, especially the Psalms.
Psalms can be sung as a hymn or as a responsorial Psalm which is how they were first intended; the verse/chorus is repeatedly sung by the congregation after the choir sings the verses.
The Psalms have several authors; with many attributable to King David. Most people are familiar with The Lord is my Shepherd which is prefaced simply as a Psalm of David. Whether it was actually written by King David is problematic as scholars recognize many of the events described within these Psalms attributed to him happened many centuries later.

What I find interesting about the collections of 150 Psalms is the extent of the full range of emotions and drama that are cleverly interwoven to describe celebrated past events and hopeful aspirations of a community; of a rich theology. 

They reflect the poetic nature of the Hebrew Bible which in turn is indicative of the popularity of poetry in Israel and its surrounding regions at the time. According to the Jerusalem Bible’s introduction to the Psalms they fit into three categories, Hymns, Entreaty (for use in public and temple court) and thanksgiving.

This Psalm would fit under the heading of an "Entreaty" and is simply headed: For the Choirmaster ~ of the sons of Korah (which is a reference to the sons of Korah who were musicians at that time of the original composition.)

Selection of texts

My inner self thirsts for God, for the living God. When shall I come and behold the face of God?

Just as a deer longs for running streams, God, I long for you.

For thou art God my strength: why hast thou cast me off? and why do I go sorrowful whilst the enemy afflicteth me?

A white-tailed deer drinks from the creek; I want to drink God, deep draughts of God. I’m thirsty for God-alive. I wonder, “Will I ever make it— arrive and drink in God’s presence?” I’m on a diet of tears— tears for breakfast, tears for supper. All day long people knock at my door, Pestering, “Where is this God of yours?”

My soul thirsts for God, for the living God. When shall I come and behold the face of God?

As the deer pants for streams of water, so my soul pants for You, O God.

I long for the True God who lives. When can I stand before Him and feel His comfort?

My soul thirsts for God, for the living God. When shall I come and appear before God?

My soul thirsted to God, the quick well/(the) well of life (My soul thirsted for God, the living well/the well of life); when shall I come, and appear before the face of God?

My soul thirsted for God, for the living God, When do I enter and see the face of God?
Extracts from what we sing

As the deer longs for running streams,
so I long, so I long, so I long for you.
A-thirst my soul for you the God who is my life!
When shall I see, when shall I see,
see the face of God?
As the deer longs for running streams,
so I long, so I long, so I long for you.
Continually the foe delights in taunting me:
“Where is God, where is your God?”
Where, O where, are you?

As the deer longs for running streams,
so I long, so I long, so I long for you.
Then I shall go unto the altar of my God.
Praising you, O my joy and gladness,
I shall praise your name.

As the deer longs for running streams,
so I long, so I long, so I long for you.

5 comments:

♥ N o v a said...

It's been awhile since I've been to church. I do remember though that the psalms were the verses that were repeated in response to a prayer. When it is first recited by the priest, it's often very sing-songy, with the words going up and down in a rhythmic fashion. They were never very long phrases, but they always carried such emotion.

Tom said...


"My inner self thirsts for God, for the living God. When shall I come and behold the face of God?

Just as a deer longs for running streams, God, I long for you."


Oh to be the Eagle that can look into the face of God.

Lindsay Byrnes said...

Hi Nova,
Yes, a lay person can act as the Cantor or it can be a priest to direct a chant. It has always been an important feature of both Jewish and Christian worship and aims to invokes participation as in one voice of unity. The Biblical texts do not tell us a great deal about how psalms were originally performed. However there is little doubt psalm singers were accompanied by musical instruments such as the bass lyre.
There was I imagine, even more emotion then.
Best wishes

Lindsay Byrnes said...

Hi Tom,
Indeed – but for a moment, were you not raised up as if on eagle's wings!
Best wishes

Tom said...

Most assuredly!