Friday, June 22

Fifties nostalgia

After reading Bill Bryson’s book entitled “Thunderbolt Kid” about his boyhood experiences growing up in the USA, I was reminded of my own childhood experiences. I grew up in the picturesque small dairy farming town of Kyogle situated on the NSW side of the border with Queensland.
The back fence was all that separated our house from fields of grazing cattle and the river; an endless source of entertainment and excitement for me. I was scarcely ever indoors, coming in only to listen with bated breath to the daily radio broadcast of “The Search for the Golden Boomerang” and other popular radio serials broadcast then. Radio, books, comics, making sling shots, bows and arrows, climbing trees or exploring the river banks kept us actively interested. I can never recall feeling bored. In later life when I watched the same radio script on TV, I was sorely disappointed, actors and sets seemed surprisingly insipid and imprisoned on the tiny screen.

I loved the weekly visit to the movies. Afterwards we feasted on chips, smothered in salt and dripping with fat, wrapped up unceremoniously in old newspapers; pure mana from heaven.  When I returned home it was time to reenact the scenes, embellishing the story line to make it more exciting as I playing in the bush outside.

Supermarket shopping didn’t exist, so there was a constant stream of merchants and visitors to our house, the milkman at first light, filling your jug with fresh milk and cream, a baker carrying his basket under his arm of freshly baked bread exuding its enticing aroma, the postman’s shrill whistle, ice from an ice cart for your ice chest, an insurance man collecting the premiums and a salesperson selling encyclopedias.
Each week the faithful ‘Dunny man” had to carefully exchange your full dunny for an empty one which was an operation that required a combination of brute strength (as they were rather heavy when full) and skill to ensure you didn’t spill any of the contents out while lifting on to the truck. The contents were respectively referred to as “Night Soil”. The sign ‘Night Soil’ was emblazoned on the side of the old truck that excuded copious amounts of blue smoke as its engine groaned under the strain of its heavy load.   

My best pal conveniently lived next door; he was several years older and the wrestling champion of the local neighborhood. I soon leant that I was not going to be strangled and die when he engaged me in wrestling contests on our front lawn. There seemed no point in complaining since my parents seemed totally disinterested in my dire predicament. The wrestling experience turned out to be invaluable when I went off to school, when dealing with an older school bully. As he launched his attack on me on the way home; as he had promised, I thought I was a goner. To my surprise and that of the small crowd gathered around to watch (fights were usually premeditated to give everyone the chance to come along and watch) I managed to get a decent head lock on him and wrestled him to the ground with all my strength. To my astonishment and relief it was soon over; as he heeded the chant of the crowd. He’s got you!! , He’s got you!! Give-up, Give Up!!

Christmas time was always an exciting time. Receiving a bike for a Christmas present eclipsed all known joyous experiences in my life. My parents, sensing my excitement had laid a string throughout all of the rooms of the house and back down the stairs to be attached to the bike situated on the front lawn. Christmas morning at first light they invited me to follow the string and see what was on the end of it. Needing no encouragement I tore through the house and in a state of heightened excitement finally surveyed the wondrous sight, I immediately hopped on and cycled away. It didn’t matter a fig to me that it was a very old bike, where rust had been carelessly painted over with bubbly paint and made to look new with a false “Malvern Star” sticker on it. To me it was simply the best thing that could have ever happened and I was far too excited and happy to pay any close attention to such things.  It was only in later life when I recalled those images more carefully that I realized those bubbly painted surfaces were the result of paint failing to bond on rusted old surfaces. A few splashes of paint and a brand new shining bell was all that was needed to transform that rusty old bike into the gleaming new machine I had long dreamed about. Freedom is an elusive state but I never felt as carefree as riding that bicycle around in the country. Taking my lunch with me and cycling off to a destination of my choice, stopping for a drink for at a little shop I was totally ensconced in my own world of adventure.   

One must remember growing up in the fifties was a time when the country was fiercely loyal to the Queen under the guiding hand of Prime Minister Robert Menzies. During Queen Elizabeth’s Coronation we all made up scrap books as school projects. When she visited Australia no one really knew why we should all be excited, it was as if we were all swept along with this national bout of infectious enthusiasm and delight for the Queen. The cheers of the schoolchildren echoed everywhere as she was greeted with unanimous delight.

But tragedy was to strike us and the close knit Kyogle community in 1954. Our family house had been purchased on the basis it was flood free. As an added precaution it was built on high stilts. Even so, despite the cyclonic rain on that fateful day, it was thought our house would not be flooded. As the floodwaters entered our backyard I imagined myself as fisherman and unconcerned dangled my fishing line in the brown waters. However soon the rising waters were inching their way up our back steps so we evacuated to a neighbor’s on much higher ground. My father told us he was staying on to protect our furniture and effects.
That night I peered out over the murky waters to see my Father swimming around in the flooded house, placing objects onto higher vantage points in a futile attempt to avoid the ever rising floodwaters. The waters were rising at an alarming rate and it was with some relief, we watched in silence as my father finally wearily swam out through the bedroom window and with measured strokes struck out for the bank and safety at last. Fully clothed, cold, exhausted but determined he slowly hauled himself up onto the bank to join us on the veranda, in time to see our house disappear under the cruel raging waters of the Richmond River.
I can still recall that dreaded smell from the flood with its endless mud. There were pieces of corrugated iron from rooves around and it was soon turned to good use in makeshift canoes, folded over and sealed both ends with tar, to deliver milk and supplies. I remember search parties each morning looking for bodies and everyone helping one another. There was the drone of the old DC3 aircraft parachuting supplies to a stricken community cut off by floodwaters the likes of which had never been seen nor  have since.      

My parent’s sold their house at a tremendous financial loss and decided to leave Kyogle not long after.


The flood left my parents bankrupted so we moved to Ballina and stayed with my maternal grandparents to give my parents a chance to recover financially. We then moved to Wollongong for a short period until finally settling in Coffs Harbour.

My memories of Coffs in the fifties was of a town where you could leave the door of your home unlocked as there was virtually no crime helped no doubt by an alert police force that new everyone’s business. One of my fondest memories was of our pet dog called Rexie , a very intelligent foxie who was given the keys to the town. His daily routine, after breakfast, was to visit the Red Cross Snack Bar and then morning tea at my father’s work followed by lunch at home and then a final goodbye to the Red Cross workers in the afternoon. If there was any event on in town he was always around to check things out as an accepted observer.  He was always very careful crossing the street and would wait patiently for a lull in the traffic, or wait for the traffic lights once they were installed in the town. He even visited the golfers during the North Coast Open observing the professionals and crowds of people. I recall walking along the fairway when I overheard a conversation: ‘what’s that dog doing on the course’ only to hear the usual chorus of answers, ‘that’s Rexie, he turns up everywhere, always welcome and always well behaved!!  

Umm I thought – yes that’s exactly right!!
We were spoilt for choice at Coffs with beaches to the north and south of the town. I recall eating oysters of the rocks and on the odd occasions catching good sized bream with my mother cheering me on.          

7 comments:

Laura said...

Hi Lindsay!

I was so happy to see you still have your blog. I thought about you because I've been learning Spanish and have been trying to better orient myself with Latin America. The Costa Rican music scene reminds me a lot of the Austin music scene which also reminds me of Rachael. Is she still performing? A band in particular, Passiflora, reminded me of her. (The specific song was Riverside (En Vivo)).

Your childhood experiences remind me a little of my own, although MUCH more innocent. We had glass bottles of milk delivered to our back door, any my husband sold encyclopedias when he was in college. But I don't remember ever listening to radio broadcasts. I was always a fan of reading books over watching television so can imagine the difference in quality. We could never leave our doors unlocked, however. My father kept guns in the house which came in useful once. A man had aimed a gun at our next door neighbor and then ran by me while I was playing basketball in our driveway. My father helped trap him in a neighbors garage so that the police could get him. There was a lot of crime in the 70s in Houston.

My memory of beaches is of oil squishing through my toes.

I can't imagine living through a flood. We were lucky. My brother and I would shovel water out of our backyard into our front yard to keep it from coming into our home. Lots of nearby neighborhoods were devastated. Houston got hit especially hard last year. I'm so sorry you all had to deal with that although I'm also glad there were some good memories that came of it for you!

I'll have to catch up with you on your blog. I hope your family is doing well!

Fun post, as always!!

Rachael Byrnes said...

Wow, what a fantastic post! I really enjoyed peering into that era through your eyes. There's a real sense of freedom and simplicity there. Even the dog being allowed to wonder around and enjoy himself. Rexie sounded like a really sweet pet.

Rachael Byrnes said...

...and to the Blogger above, that's interesting about the Costa Rica music scene I will have to look that up... and the band Passiflora! I'm not performing right now but do plan to get back to it. :) thanks for thinking of me!

Laura said...

Sorry! Didn't mean to be "unknown". The comment box didn't give me many options. This is Laura from Austin. I still listen to your music, Rachael. I hope you get back into it, one day!

Rachael Byrnes said...

Hi Laura, ha that's awesome that you still listen! I've done some home recorded stuff over the years. There's some material on my soundcloud and this random piece on youtube. Yes I do need to get back to it and release some new material. I've written a few new pieces lately which has been great! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZWzTV2Wn5E&feature=youtu.be

Lindsay Byrnes said...

Hi Laura,
Very nice to hear from you and please stay in touch. They say learning another language is an excellent way to not only keep the brain active but to give it a good work out. Are you doing some sort of a course or planning a trip to Latin America? I gather you are still at Round Rock. I think I remember that your son Michael (not sure if that was his name) was also interested in music and played in band when he was a teenager. By now he must be a young man just as your daughter Marissa, no doubt has now completed her college studies. I trust all of the family and your husband Mike are well. Is he still the IT manger at the charitable institute?

Thanks for sharing your childhood experiences. I recall the humorous story you told me once about the time you had a game of golf with your father. Trust you’re in good health and the ankle is not too much of a bother these days.

Our family is all okay and I have developed some new interests having joined a local choir and became a voluntary tutor at the University of the 3rd Age. Initially I tutored on value investing but for next term I am running a course I have called ‘An Introduction to the Existentialists.’
I enjoy the experience of tutoring to small groups and so far have about 13 people enrolled for this new course which is just a nice number to discuss material I circulate prior to each meeting.
I also propose to provide material on popular existential films, with sliced extracts scenes from ‘It’s a Wonderful Life.'
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0038650/plotsummary
and 'The Crying Game'
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0104036/plotsummary

Given your prior interest in the subject matter I just now made a fresh posting entitled An introduction to the existentialists in case it continues to be a topic of some interest to you. That’s the sort of paper I would circulate prior to each meeting.

Best wishes

Laura said...

Rachel - Thanks for the link to your new song. I also checked out your Sound Cloud. I so love the playful seriousness of your lyrics and music!

Lindsay - I had never heard of the University of the 3rd Age so looked it up. What a wonderful movement! And how fun to be teaching a class on Existentialism.

I haven't thought about Existentialism in years. I had intended to follow my Existential studies by digging in to the connection between Emerson & Nietzsche, but didn't get very far. I've barely even read a book in recent years, lol! Between raising teens, dealing with parents with dementia, and some minor health issues, I just haven't had the energy for it.

My kids are doing well! Thanks for asking. My son got a degree in Music Administration and my daughter is currently living at home and attending the University of Texas. I think she only has 3 semesters left. She's double majoring in French and Psychology and is doing extremely well. She got a scholarship to go to France last summer so spent several months exploring France and parts of Italy and Switzerland. She's hoping to go back in December. The University requires that she take a certain number of "cultural electives" in order to graduate, so along with her normal psychology and French classes, you'll be happy to know she'll be taking a class on Australian Film in the fall. (She's also taking a class on Jewish Folklore in the fall. Sounds like a really fun semester to me!!)

My husband started yet another masters program (computer science) in the spring. Since I was the only one in the household not going to school, I woke up one day to find out my daughter had signed me up for a Spanish class at the community college. I'm currently on my second semester of classes. I have no set goals other than that it is something I've wanted to do for quite some time because I've always lived so close to the border. My husband travels to various countries in Latin America for work and I'd love to travel with him one of these days, too. But mostly I just want to be able to talk more easily with people here in Texas. My mother in-law is still alive (92 and in perfect mental health). She's from El Salvador so I can practice on her, too!

I'll happily take a look at your post on Existentialism! And I am so glad to hear you and your family are doing well. I think of you often!